Sunday, September 23, 2012

Economic Inequality

Exended Comments..


How is economic inequality a feminist issue?

This question caught me completely off guard. I never really thought of economic inequality a feminist issue. I knew it existed, but I never thought about its impact. From where I can see, it was human nature to look at someone and assume you know what they are going through, when in fact, we have no clue. You can feel like you can guess their background, current situation and maybe if they had finance problems just by the way they appear. Everyone does it. However, if we all do it, and then told “not to judge a book by its cover”, what are we left to do?

When I went on the PBS website, I was fascinated. And yes, I did go right to the games. By the way I decided to “decorate my living room” I was labeled “middle middle class”. What does that even mean? Well, personally I was glad not to be labeled in the snobby rich class or trailer park. Why, may you ask? Because of how those social classes are labeled. When I finished playing all three games, I decided to read the stories. I was conflicted. In one story, an African American woman and the love of her life where being ridiculed and mocked by their own family because of the person they choose to love. In another, a man decided not to follow the paths of his siblings to become a doctor (what his father wanted). He wanted to do something else, and so he did. His parents never come to visit him.

Back to the question, I think my fellow classmate Jen is right. She says “feminism encompasses those factors which can sometimes determine or limit the accessibility of class for individuals. An eclectic approach must be taken when considering economic equality.”  Feminism is kind of a way of finding equality to all people, not just women. Economic inequality is defined in more than one way; it contains racial, sexist, gender, and obviously, social class concerns. That’s the way its always been , and i doubt it will change.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! :) After reading your post I realized that I didn't want to be labelled as "trailer park" or "upper class" in those games, either. (I also went right for the games first.) I guess what that says about me is that I want to have enough money and property, but not more than enough solely because of the stereotypes associated with class. I chose objects in the game that appealed to me (granted, the selection was limited... I can guarantee you my house in reality won't look like that) but many of those things were considered "middle class." I don't consider myself selfish or snobby, and because of that I did not chose objects I realized were upper class. The realization has dawned on me a day later that I too judge people based on what they have! It shouldn't have to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everybody went to the games first. :D I found that I felt snobby right from the start, I was paranoid in a sense that I was going to be labeled as "trailer park", how conceded is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad my computer wouldn't let me play the games, I feel like I missed out! But I like how you're honest about how you haven't thought about economic injustice as a feminist issue. I don't think many of us had. I also like how you share that society impacts the way you want to be as well.

    ReplyDelete